Are you in the market for a brand new mattress? Buying a quality mattress should be easy and straightforward. However, that is not the case as there are many factors one needs to consider. This is the case, especially for heavier persons.
What is considered heavier is quite relative and debatable. Some people are regarded heavier from 150 pounds while others go up to 200 pounds. Such persons usually require a different mattress design as opposed to persons weighing less than 150 pounds. For an optimal sleeping experience, heavier persons need to select specially designed mattresses that can support their weight. If your bed happens to sink or sag, then it is time you considered buying a new mattress.
- Best Mattresses for Heavy People Reviews
- 1. Casper Sleep Foam Mattress, King 12 Inch
- 2. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 12 Inch Mattress
- 3. Zinus Extra Firm iCoil 12 Inch Support Plus Mattress
- 4. Olee Sleep 12 Inch Hybrid Euro Box
- 5. LUCID 10-Inch Latex Foam Memory Mattress
- 6. Vibe 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 7. Perfect Cloud Elegance 12-Inch Memory Foam
- 8. Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-Inch Memory Foam
- 9. Sleep Master iCoil 13 –Inch Euro Top Spring Mattress
- How to Choose a Mattress for Heavier Persons – Mattress buying Guide
- Types of mattresses
- Benefits of Choosing a Specific Mattress for Heavier Persons
Best Mattresses for Heavy People Reviews
The market is filled with a wide range of quality mattresses for heavier and overweight persons. However, these high numbers make it pretty difficult to find a quality mattress. You need to analyze hundreds of mattresses for heavier persons on the market to come with a suitable option.
To help you get an amazing sleep experience, we’ve narrowed down your mattress choices to only 9 picks. These are the best and top-rated mattresses for heavier, large and overweight persons on the market. Check them out and carefully choose one that best suits your sleeping needs.
1. Casper Sleep Foam Mattress, King 12 Inch
The Casper sleep is our first selection mattress for heavy persons with a 12-inch thickness. It is a top-quality mattress with 4 layers of premium foam to offer superior support. This mattress features zoned support for excellent comfort levels and body alignment. It is a perfect pick for heavier persons. The mattress is extensively tested and proven to last. It has undergone 100-night trials for confidence buying. The mattress also comes with 100 days free return making it a risk-free investment.
What makes it special? This mattress comes with breathable open-cell foam to allow for excellent air circulation. It features tiny pores that allow hot air to escape keeping you cool while sleeping. This is an excellent feature for big persons that tend to generate more heat. The mattress expands within minutes of unpacking. Make sure you air it to have the mild scent present dissipate in a few hours.
2. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 12 Inch Mattress
This is a conforming memory foam 12-inch thick mattress for excellent support and comfort. It is a quality mattress for better night sleep. The mattress features 6-inch high-density base support, 3-inch pressure-relieving foam, and 3-inch memory foam. This is a high-quality foam mattress to buy with confidence. The mattress uses only CertiPU-US foam for durability, content, and performance.
What makes it special? It features the latest Biofoam, which is natural plant oil. This helps keep the mattress fresh without any funny smells. The mattress is compressed and shipped in a single box.
3. Zinus Extra Firm iCoil 12 Inch Support Plus Mattress
The Zinus is a top-quality mattress from one of the leading brands in the industry. It is a perfect design mattress for heavier persons with extra firm support. This is a thick 12-inch mattress with a 7.5-inch base layer. The mattress also features a 1.5-inch comfort foam layer and 2.5-inch high-density foam. It is a lovely mattress with a soft knitted jacquard cover for added comfort and support. This is a highly recommended mattress for big persons with high-quality foam.
What stands out? The mattress comes with 10% more individually wrapped coils than other mattresses on the market. This prevents any motion transfer making it a perfect pick for couples. You also get a worry-free 10-year warranty.
4. Olee Sleep 12 Inch Hybrid Euro Box
The Olee is a 5-layer pocket spring mattress with exceptional support and comfort. It is a top-rated mattress to give you contoured support and better night sleep. The mattress features a soft memory top foam that molds and support your body shape for maximum comfort. The inclusion of high-density foam in the layers helps absorb and distribute body weight evenly. The mattress also features a soft, removable, and washable polyester cover for easy cleaning and maintenance.
What stands out? The mattress features tempered steel independently encased oils that give the mattress is luxury. The coils help eliminate any motion making it a perfect choice for partners. The mattress also features multi HD foam layers for exceptional support and durability.
5. LUCID 10-Inch Latex Foam Memory Mattress
This is a firm 10-inch latex foam memory mattress and an excellent choice for large and overweight persons. The mattress features a latex surface layer that offers a resilient surface for extra weight. This mattress conforms to your body curves and weight, helping relieve pressure. It is a premium quality mattress that comes with moisture-controlling fabric materials. The mattress is highly rated and recommended for confidence buying.
What makes it special? The latex layer of the mattress is ventilated for maximum airflow and breathability. This helps prevent hot sleeping, especially for big persons that exert a lot of pressure and generate more heat.
6. Vibe 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The Vibe is a 12-inch thick gel-infused memory foam mattress for more comfortable night sleep. It is an exceptional quality mattress with 7-inch high-density foam base, 3-inch gel-infused foam, and 2-inch of gel-infused memory foam. This mattress offers responsive relief and support. It evenly distributes pressure points allowing you to sleep in different positions. This is a luxurious mattress with a stretch knit fabric cover. The mattress base is adjustable and friendly, giving you a medium plush feel.
What stands out? The use of high-quality memory foam conforms to your body for comfortable night sleep. There is also the cool gel that helps regulate temperature. Overall, this is hypoallergenic with a mattress with excellent 5-star customer services.
7. Perfect Cloud Elegance 12-Inch Memory Foam
The Perfect Cloud is a premium quality mattress design for heavier persons. This mattress features three unique layers of a 7.5-inch base layer, 2-inch gel-infused memory foam and 1.5-inch of ventilated gel-infused memory foam. The mattress offers heavy persons excellent support and comfort. This is a quality mattress to help eliminate ay nervous memory and tension on the head, neck, and shoulder pain. With viscoelastic memory foam, this mattress contour to your body and helps alleviate body pain. It is a great choice mattress for a weightless sleeping experience.
What is special? The mattress also comes with a premium quality cover. The cover looks and feels luxuriously comfortable. It features mesh accents that allow for excellent air circulation. This helps improve heat dissipation leading to cool sleeping. You also get 10-years to warranty for confidence buying.
8. Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-Inch Memory Foam
This is a Queen Size mattress with a 12-inch thickness and one of the best selections on the list for heavier persons. It is a comfortable and supportive mattress that will offer a personalized alignment and excellent pressure relieving. This mattress is a perfect choice for persons with average to bigger bodies. It allows for easy sleeping in different positions. The mattress comes with a beautifully crafted quilted design cover.
What stands out? This is a unique memory foam mattress for a personalized sleep experience. The mattress features a DuoComfort design that cradles your body lightly for maximum comfort. It is a medium feel mattress that gets you refreshed for a long day at work. The mattress comes with 10years warranty and 100 nights risk-free trial.
9. Sleep Master iCoil 13 –Inch Euro Top Spring Mattress
This is our final best mattress for heavy people and a great addition to our list with excellent features. It is a 13-inch thick mattress that gives maximum support and comfort. This is a Euro top spring mattress for superior support and comfort. The mattress offers customized support with the body shape and curves contouring to the top cover. It is a highly rated and recommended mattress for heavy persons to buy right away.
What stands out? The luxurious and customized support of the mattress makes it stand out from the rest. This mattress features iCoil pocketed foam and springs to give users a customized experience. It also comes with a high-quality fiber quilted cover.
How to Choose a Mattress for Heavier Persons – Mattress buying Guide
While there are general factors when buying a mattress, there are more critical factors when it comes to heavier persons. When these factors are considered, people consider heavier will have a better sleeping experience. The mattress is smartly shipped is a compressed and rolled form. The folding mattress foundation allows for easy storage and transportation
As said earlier, heavier is a relative term and people even at 150 pounds can be considered heavier. However, for the purpose of our reviews above, we will consider persons weighing 200 pounds or more. Our mattress selections above can support up to 300 pounds. Others are capable of supporting up to 450 pounds.
Here are the main factors to consider
This is by far the most important consideration to make but one that most people ignore. You need to choose mattresses made of high-quality materials. Such mattresses will offer a better sleep experience and will not sag easily. We will discuss different mattress filling when we look at different types of mattresses below.
For obvious reasons, heavier persons require thicker mattresses than thinner persons. In most cases, mattresses measuring 10 inches thick can offer enough support for persons less than 200 pounds. However, the same mattress will not offer sufficient support for persons above 200 pounds. Heavier persons require mattresses with 12 inches or more of thickness.
Persons with heavyweight usually exert a lot of pressure on the mattress. If the mattress is thin, then such heavier persons will not get the best support they need. Be on the lookout for mattresses with extra layers.
Lever of firmness
The ideal firmness level of your mattress is usually determined by your sleeping position. Are you a side sleeper, back sleeper or stomach sleeper? Mattress firmness can be categorized into a very soft, soft, medium, medium-firm, and very firm.
For heavier persons, the ideal mattress firmness needs to be between medium to medium firmness. Heavier persons sink into the mattress most of the time, something that can lead to back pain. This is why you need to select an ideal level of firmness that supports your weight. Lighter mattresses tend to sink more than firm ones. The heavier you’re the firmer mattress you require.
This is another crucial consideration that goes a long way in determining the type of mattress you choose. Our body weight is distributed in different ways, and the position you sleep requires a specific type of firmness and support. Here are the common sleeping positions and how they affect the mattress you buy:
- Side sleepers: If you’re a side sleeper, then pressure relief is crucial for you. This is because the entire body weight is pressing on the narrow side position. Such sleepers require a plush bed where their bodies and sink and conform, helping minimize pressure. However, this is not the case for heavier persons that will require a firmer mattress to avoid sinking to the bottom.
- Back sleepers: For back sleepers, the choice comes down to preference. There are those that prefer firmer mattresses for back support. However, for some people, firmer mattresses might not offer the right back support. The ideal choice mattress must balance between support and cradle.
- Stomach sleepers: For heavier persons that sleep on their stomach, a right balance of firmness is needed to avoid hip pains. A firmer bed is recommended to support the abdomen and hips weight.
- Combination: For persons with trouble sleeping in one position, finding a suitable mattress can be a little difficult. Make sure you know the positions you commonly sleep on and get a mattress that suits those positions.
Cooling and temperature regulation
Heavier persons usually complain of their beds getting hot when asleep. This is usually the case when there is no room for the mattress to breathe. A quality mattress needs to allow for excellent air circulation. Since heavier persons exert more mass, the mattress generates more heat leaving you feeling uncomfortable.
Foam mattresses get warmer faster than mattresses with latex fillings. Hybrid and innerspring mattresses are also great since they don’t absorb heat. They tend to remain cool than foam mattresses. However, advanced foam mattresses nowadays feature open-cell memory foam or gel layers to help cool down the mattress. For heavier sleepers, make sure you consider specialized mattresses that enhance cooling.
If you happen to sleep or sit on your bed during the day, then consider buying a bed with excellent edge support. Such beds are more durable and tend to last for long.
Consider your sleeping partner
For couples with different body weights and shapes, choosing a mattress with a dual-sided firmness is recommended. However, if you’re both heavier, then make sure you choose a mattress that best suits your needs.
Types of mattresses
The market, as we’ve seen, is filled with different types of mattresses. Each of these mattresses has its own cons and pros. Here is an overview of the leading mattress types on the market:
- Memory foam: These are the best types of mattresses for heavier persons. The foam offers excellent body support while also helping relieve pressure. However, when shopping for memory foam mattresses, lookout for breathable mattresses to avoid the issue of sleeping hot. Some of the best memory foam mattresses come with cooling layers, gel, open-cell structure, or covers with a cooling material.
- Latex: Latex is also a great option for heavier persons due to its excellent cooling and comfort. In addition, latex tends to offer sleepers a greater bounce as opposed to memory foam. The contouring in latex is also less pronounced as opposed to memory foam. It tends to give a rounded contour giving you a balanced hugging or sinking.
- Innerspring: poor quality innerspring mattresses are not ideal for large persons since they create pressure points. However, if innerspring mattresses are your thing, then consider choosing coil-to-coil mattress construction. The coil-to-coil mattresses offer two layers giving excellent support and deep compression.
- Hybrid: Hybrid types of mattresses utilize both memory foam and coil. These are among the best types of mattresses out there with excellent breathability, support, deep compression, and more bounce.
Benefits of Choosing a Specific Mattress for Heavier Persons
Getting a quality mattress ideal for your weight comes with several benefits. First, your body will get adequate support and prevent backaches. A quality bed is something that will define your health and get you sleeping better. It is a great way to deal with lumbar and neck pains.
When you’re the body has the best support, you’re overall muscular health will improve. You will also experience improved body posture and a good night’s sleep.
Now that you know what the best mattresses for heavy people are, choosing the best should not be a problem. The weight of heavier persons demands a uniquely designed mattress that will support the right amount of firmness and comfort. The right mattress needs to allow for excellent air circulation leading to temperature regulation at night.
This is why we’ve carefully selected these picks to help you find a suitable mattress for heavier persons.